B.F.C.Built. is a progressive building practice from Melbourne, Australia. Recognised for the quality of our built work, our methods are underpinned by a deep understanding of the architecture we realise, a strong focus on detail, and a collaborative dialogue with those around us. The practice sets out to make a meaningful contribution to the built environment by positively reshaping the experiences of its inhabitants.
We are a consciously small team and extended group of specialist contractors. Founded by Ben Shorter in 2016, the practice has a wealth of experience across construction, project management and planning.
- Ben Shorter, Founder and Director
- Timothy Hare, Site Manager
- Louise Napolitano, Site Manager
- Nick Runia , Carpenter
- Harry Gooley, Carpenter
- Paul Pinkney , Carpenter
- Jackson Leak , Site Manager
- Simon Bergman, Project Manager
In collaboration with some of Australia’s foremost architects, we create thoughtful, intuitive and sensitive environments supported by precise attention to detail.
We are committed to preserving the natural environment and reducing our carbon footprint wherever possible. Our partnership with a Melbourne-based waste management company enables us to recycle up to 90% of the waste generated during construction.
- AIA Awards 2021 Commendation, Residential architecture (houses) alterations and additions
- AIA Awards 2021 Shortlist, Residential Architecture (Houses) alterations and additions
- Houses Awards 2021 Shortlist, Alterations and Additions under 200sqm
- Houses Awards 2021 Commendation, alterations and additions under 200sqm
- Houses Issue #142 Cover
- The Local Project, Northcote Terrace
- Melbourne Design Week Award 2021, Winner
- Dezeen Awards 2021 Longlist, Small Building
- Arch Daily, Ripple House
- The Local Project, Folk's House (Williamstown House)
- Habitus Issue #51, Ripple House
- est living, unlocking architectural moments in small spaces
- est living, Home Tour | Brook House by Studio Doherty & Therefore Architecture
Our process is informed by meticulous planning, technical proficiency and an open dialogue throughout each build. We provide individual and methodical project management using the latest practices, while fostering an inclusive working environment that maximises the efficiency of every project.
01. Planning & Engagement
We encourage early engagement to assist with budget expectation and management. We also provide preliminary estimates or consultation — taking the time to understand each project in detail and consider all the variables involved.
We have a dedicated site manager for each project and a highly skilled team of trades-people, resulting in a clean and safe building site. We use the same contractors on every project to ensure a universal understanding of architectural intent and consistently high-quality outcomes.
03. Project Management
Critical to the process and a successful project, each job is personally managed by our director, Ben Shorter. We use the latest management and estimating software on and offsite to ensure smooth contract administration and consistent and efficient outcomes.
04. Project Completion
We take great pride in handing projects over to our clients. With an intimate understanding of the works we complete, we are able to consult and give ongoing support to our clients as required.